The Licensing Division oversees the issuance of new and renewal insurance licenses for both resident and non-resident producers, and business entities in the state of Nebraska.
- Effective January 1, 2017, the Department will reduce both licensing fees and the biennial renewal fees from $60 to $50 for individual insurance producer and insurance consultant licenses. For more information please see the September 23, 2016 DOI Notice.
- NE Resident license applicants, after you have passed your exam don’t forget to apply for your insurance license at NIPR.com.
Getting Your Resident License
First Time License – Residents
- Required - Prelicensing Course: You must pass an approved prelicensing course in order to obtain a license. Several companies offer prelicensing exam classes (including study materials) which help prepare the applicant for the exam. You may contact any of the approved providers for additional information. Prelicensing Approved Provider List
- Schedule your exam: Go to www.prometric.com to register for your insurance exam or call Prometric at 1-800-853-4753.
- Apply for your Nebraska license: You must apply and be issued a Nebraska insurance license in order to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance in the state of Nebraska. If an exam was required, allow 2-3 days for Prometric to provide the exam results and up to 10 days for your prelicensing course credit to be electronically downloaded to the Nebraska Insurance Department, prior to applying. Start the application process online at www.nipr.com and pay the $50 license fee with a credit card. You can also submit a paper application (License Application/Forms) and mail it with a check made payable to the Nebraska Department of Insurance.
For what to expect on test day click here