The Licensing Division oversees the issuance of new and renewal insurance licenses for both resident and non-resident producers, and business entities in the state of Nebraska.
Important Announcement from the Nebraska Department of Insurance
SBS Implementation -- Effective April 25, 2019
On Thursday, April 25, 2019, the Nebraska Department of Insurance is going live on the newest version of State Based Systems (SBS), a web-based application built by the NAIC that supports state insurance regulation functions. This new and improved version of SBS features a suite of tools that offers the insurance industry and consumers quick and convenient access to information they care about. This transition will require the temporary shutdown of Nebraska’s professional insurance licensing operations, including online applications submitted via NIPR. Key dates and times include:
Friday, April 19th at 4 p.m. CT: NIPR stops accepting online submissions (applications and contact change requests) that affect the Nebraska Department of Insurance SBS database AND Nebraska’s professional insurance licensing operations via SBS shutdown
Thursday, April 25th at 7 a.m. CT: Nebraska’s professional insurance licensing operations are available using SBS and NIPR begins accepting online submissions
The Licensing Division is transitioning our correspondence from mail to an email format. To ensure that you receive all future notifications please take a minute and verify the email address that you have on file with us. You can verify your email address, continuing education, or print your license online at statebasedsystems.com.
Effective July 19, 2018, the Department will no longer require resident applicants to complete pre-licensing education in order to obtain a producer license.
- NE Resident license applicants, after you have passed your exam don’t forget to apply for your insurance license at NIPR.
- The 2019 appointment renewal period begins May 5, 2019 and ends July 31, 2019. All appointment renewals must be paid online through NIPR by 3:00 PM CDT on July 31, 2019.
First Time License – Residents
- Applicant registers and passes the written insurance examination for the appropriate lines of authority. Visit www.prometric.com to register for your insurance exam.
- Exam information is uploaded by Prometric to the Department of Insurance. Please allow 2-3 days for the exam information to be uploaded to our system.
- Applicant applies for a Nebraska insurance license. You must apply and be issued a Nebraska insurance license in order to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance in the state of Nebraska. You can start the application process online at www.nipr.com and pay the license fee with a credit card, or you can submit a paper application by mail with a check for the appropriate license fee made payable to the Nebraska Department of Insurance.
For what to expect on test day click here