The Consumer Affairs Division is responsible for providing the public with insurance information and assistance, and for investigating consumer complaints to ensure the proper handling of insurance transactions. We regulate insurance companies and insurance agents doing business in Nebraska.
Before filing a complaint:
Important: If you did not live in Nebraska when you purchased the policy, please contact the state in which you lived at the time of purchase.
- Contact your insurance company and request an explanation.
- Make sure you have provided all information requested by the company.
- If you are concerned about the handling of a health insurance claim, ask what appeal and external review procedures are available to you. (Appealing a Health Plan Decision Brochure)
If you are not satisfied with the company’s response to your concerns, you may consider filing a complaint.
What we cannot do:
- The Department cannot order the company to pay your claim or refund premium.
- We cannot act as a court of law or provide legal advice.
- We cannot recommend an agent, company, or products.
- We cannot identify an insurance company with whom a particular person may hold a policy.
For assistance with other entities not regulated by the Department, please refer to the following list of resources:
- Policies Purchased in Another State - Map to States & Jurisdictions
- Billing Disputes with Hospitals or Medical Providers – Nebraska Attorney General Consumer Mediation Center
- Federal Employee Health Benefits Program –Healthcare & Insurance, Office of Personnel Management
- Health Plans for Military Personnel – Appeals Fact Sheet
- Workers Compensation Claims – Rights & Obligations under the Nebraska Workers Compensation Law
- Self-funded Benefit Plans – Employee Benefits Security Administration, US Department of Labor
- Medicaid – Department of Health and Human Services
File an online complaint:
Consumer Affairs Division Complaint Form (paper) – The online Form is recommended for faster resolution.
Please read our Filing An Insurance Complaint brochure for additional information.
After you file a complaint:
- Once received, your complaint will be assigned to a Consumer Affairs Investigator who will send you an acknowledgement letter with a case tracking ID number. Please reference this tracking ID number for all case inquiries with the Consumer Affairs Division.
- We will send a copy of your complaint to the company and/or agent and request a detailed explanation.
- Companies and agents are allowed 15 business days to respond to the Department’s request for information. Some investigations may take longer depending on complexity.
- After reviewing the company/agent response, the investigator will advise you of the case outcome.
Pre-Need Complaint Questionnaire
Use this form if your complaint concerns the handling of a pre-need trust. A pre-need trust is the purchasing of burial or funeral merchandise (casket, vault, monument, etc.) or services prior to the time of death.
Contact Consumer Affairs:
Phone: 877-564-7323 (toll-free in Nebraska) or 402-471-0888 Fax:402-471-6559
Email Address: DOI.ConsumerAffairs@nebraska.gov
Nebraska Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 82089
Lincoln, NE 68510