Let's make Medicare stronger for all of us!
Fraud costs Medicare billions of dollars each year and fundamentally damages the Medicare program by raising the cost of healthcare for everyone. It is vitally important to root out fraud, and Medicare needs your help!
Call 1.800.234.7119 or 402.471.2841 to report Medicare Fraud
Nebraska SHIP and our network of volunteers, help individuals identify and report possible Medicare fraud, error or waste and to provide tips on how consumers can protect themselves from healthcare scams. Nebraska SHIP is funded through federal grants provided by the Administration on Community Living.
Protecting your personal information is the best line of defense in the fight against Medicare fraud and abuse. Take an active role in protecting your healthcare benefits:
- Protect your personal information. Guard your Medicare, Social Security and bank account numbers numbers carefully. Don't give these to anyone over the phone or in person, unless you initiated the conversation, know the person, and write down their name, number and title.
- Don’t accept any offer of “free” services or supplies in return for your Medicare number. Don’t accept medical supplies from door-to-door salespeople. Medicare will never call or visit to sell you anything.
- Keep track of your doctor visits, tests and procedures by taking notes in a healthcare journal or calendar.
Even when you do everything right, there is a chance that you could be a target of fraud. Detect fraud by examining both the Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) you receive from Medicare after your claims are paid, and the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) you receive from your Part D plan after buying prescription drugs, or after using your Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Did you receive all the services/prescriptions listed?
- Were you billed for something you didn't get?
- Do the prescriptions listed match your prescriptions?
- Were you billed for the same thing twice?
- Are the dates of the services/prescriptions correct?
If you suspect fraud in your healthcare, report it!
- Call the provider listed on the Medicare Summary Notice or Explanation of Benefits and inquire about the questionable item(s). It may be the result of a billing error, which can easily be corrected.
- If your question is not resolved and you still think the charges are fraudulent, call Nebraska SHIP: 1-800-234-7119